Many people think of the beginning of a new year as an opportunity to make a fresh start. When we consider how much we typically break away from any healthful parts of our lifestyles in order to celebrate the holidays, the new year truly does present a great chance to get things on the right track.
If you’ve decided to choose a weight loss strategy as your New Year’s resolution for 2018, there are certain things you might want to try in order to give yourself a better chance than the millions of people who will give up on their resolutions before reaching their goals. Know that you’re going to be successful and that you’ll achieve results over the long term by using these 18 tips to help you out:
1. Set specific goals – The more precise you are, the better you’ll be able to take aim, track your progress and visualize your success.
2. Be ready for plateaus – They will happen, so have a plan in place to help yourself to cope with them and overcome them as quickly as possible. (more…)
Amongst all the fantastic advice you can receive throughout your efforts to lose weight, the odds are that you will receive some not-so-helpful recommendations, too. These dubious tips can be found virtually anywhere. Online, in social media or even from friends and family who have also fallen victim to them. Some of them are obviously bad advice but others can tap into little pieces of reason or science to make it seem as though there’s something to them.
To help you to stay safe from bad diet tips in 2018, have a look at these doozies so you can recognize them when you see them.
This is a tricky one. For one thing, it should be said that dietary fat and body fat are not the same thing. Therefore, the body doesn’t just consume dietary fat and layer it onto your belly. (more…)
When you’re trying to lose weight, it’s easy to feel like you’re doing a great job as long as you continue to see the pounds dropping on the bathroom scale. After all, that’s the point, right? As with everything in life, it’s not quite as simple as that.
The reason is that not all forms of weight loss are good for you. Moreover, not all forms of weight loss even mean that you’re losing fat. It’s very important to watch for the signs that you’re losing weight in a healthy way so you can know that you’re not only getting rid of unwanted body fat, but you’re also going to keep it off over the long term. Equally, it will help you to avoid some of the unpleasant side effects that can occur from unhealthy dieting practices.
The following are 5 signs that you’re doing a great job and are losing weight in a healthy way:
1. You’re not starving – The idea that you need to starve yourself and feel hungry all the time in order to lose weight is a myth. Healthy weight loss involves many changes in the way you eat so that you will be able to love food and be satisfied with your meals without overloading on calories.
2. The pounds are coming off steadily – A healthy form of weight loss involves a consistent, gradual reduction in your body mass. If you’re losing five pounds one week, then nothing, then another few pounds, then you gain a pound or two, then you’re doing something that won’t work out well for you in the long term. (more…)
When we think about weight loss, we tend to consider the actual process of dieting as being the main source of any unpleasantness that we may experience. After all, having to learn a new way of eating only to risk feeling hungry isn’t really something that any of us would volunteer to do if it wasn’t for the importance of the outcome.
However, what many people don’t realize is that there are a lot of other things that can happen in the body during weight loss. Some of them are advantageous, while others can be downright unpleasant, particularly because they weren’t at all expected.
The following are among some of the most common and yet unexpected side effects of dieting that you may want to know before you get started. After all, the more you’re prepared, the better you can deal with them if they happen to occur. In fact, if you think you may be prone to some of these side effects, you can take action even before they happen. (more…)
Losing weight to any significant degree is often something we need to face more than once in our lives. It’s a serious problem. We go through all the time, effort and struggle of losing the weight, only to watch it creep back on again until we’re right back where we started – or worse!
Research shows that when people lose weight quickly, their odds of regaining the weight are even higher. This isn’t exactly encouraging when it’s such a difficult process in the first place. It takes a genuine psychological toll. Why should we go through it all if it’s only temporary? Why battle with the hunger, sweat through the workouts and pay a fortune to replace a wardrobe if the next few years will only put us back to the beginning again? It leads to feelings of failure, shame, low self esteem and guilt.
The key to avoiding these consequences and stopping this pattern is to understand why the weight comes back in the first place. By knowing this, you can arm yourself against it and make sure you are ready to keep those pounds off for good.
• Fast weight loss – If you follow a fad diet or use a product that promises you an excessive amount of weight loss within a tiny amount of time, it may seem fantastic as you watch the numbers plummet on the scale, but all of a sudden, you’ll watch them all coming back on again. There are many reasons that this can happen. The first is that you’re likely losing more than just body fat. In fact, most of what you’re likely losing is not body fat. (more…)