Weight is a sensitive issue. Despite all the well intended reasons you may have to encourage your spouse to lose weight, it is a discussion that may not go as you plan. It can lead to hurt feelings, injured confidence and may even go so far as to harm your relationship.
Fortunately, this doesn’t mean that you shouldn’t encourage your spouse to lose weight. It does mean that you should know what you’re doing before you dive in head-first. The following are some handy tips to help you to support your spouse in getting healthier without leading to hurt feelings.
· Focus on yourself – Despite the fact that this is often the opposite of the advice that relationship counselors give for many situations, focusing on yourself can reduce the pressure you’re placing on your spouse. That said, when you discuss the subject from your point of view, it will feel less as though you are pointing a finger. Talk about how much you love your spouse and how much you’d like to be healthy together. Share how much it would mean to you to worry less over your spouse’s health over the years.
· Keep it positive – Focus on happy and positive goals for the future. Try not to dwell on issues of concern, embarrassment or negativity. The purpose isn’t to inflict guilt on your spouse. Instead, you want to visualize the positive difference that can be made to your lives together. For example, focusing on enjoying long-term good health together is better than focusing on worries over health risks.
· Be humble – don’t pretend that you are the leader of the situation. Remember that your spouse is an adult and when it comes down to it, losing weight has to be his or her choice. When you want to give advice or make recommendations, do so quite humbly.
· Be aware of potential underlying issues – Sometimes excess weight isn’t just a matter of eating too much or exercising too little. There could be something else at play. Anxiety, depression, insomnia and even certain physical medical conditions can cause weight gain. If there is another issue leading to this result, it is important to deal with that, first or as well.
· Consider a diet pill – Consider doing some research together to find a diet pill that might help support the effort to lose weight. Look into options such a FenFast 375, which is both helpful and readily available.